Do you have a lot of passion for yoga? Have you always wanted to fly? Becoming an Aerial yoga instructor, you can get the best of both worlds. Aerial yoga combines traditional yoga with Pilates, suspension fitness, and aerial arts. AntiGravity Fitness is a fitness company founded by Christopher Harrison in 2007 that developed the first Aerial yoga class. Currently, it continues to specialize in strength training courses.
To start, you will want to check out the average salary.
Aerial Instructor Salary
According to Glassdoor, the average salary of a traditional yoga instructor is $37,000 a year. Furthermore, hourly costs range from $10 to $27 depending on location and gym. Although, a majority of gyms do not offer Aerial yoga classes. This means many trained instructors open their own studios and determine their own prices. The average cost for a first time Aerial yoga class ranges between $20 and $25. Additionally, subsequent classes range between $15 and $20.
Owning a studio brings a different set of tasks, but also the potential for profit margin in addition to income from classes. If you need guidance on writing a business plan, here are fitness business plan resources.
How To Get Aerial Certification
Fortunately, there are no minimum requirements, but you should enjoy teaching, and have an understanding of the body. It is recommended to have current certifications in Pilates or yoga, but it is not required. Depending on where you live, you may be able to do hands on training. However, if your local area gym does not offer an Aerial yoga training course, there are plenty of online courses to choose from.
AntiGravity Fitness offers in-person training courses in various cities around the world. Here is how AntiGravity Fitness breaks things down:
- A Certified AntiGravity Fitness Instructor is able to teach classes to the public and can use the AntiGravity name/certification when marketing themselves. Each instructor starts at level one and can advance to level five. Additionally, the more courses you become certified in, the higher level instructor you become.
- The first step to becoming a Certified Instructor is to take AG Fundamentals 1 & 2. It is a 4-day training course with each day being 8 hours long. Upon completion, you can teach basic aerial classes to your students.
- Furthermore, after completing AG Fundamentals 1 & 2, you can continue your training by taking AG Aerial Yoga 1. This course is 2 days long and 8 hours long each day. Upon completion, you can take your aerial yoga classes to the next level and provide more challenging exercise routines for your students.
For more information about more advanced training courses or how to become a level five instructor, check out the full details here.
Online Aerial Certification Options
- Aerial Yoga Academy: These courses are meant for anyone interested in Aerial yoga and is designed for all ages and fitness levels. The training courses consist of a 250-hour course with 20 bonus advanced moves and 30 bonus flying fitness moves. This course can certify you as an Aerial yoga instructor.
- Aerial Yoga Online: These online videos are meant to further your knowledge with new routines. Each video costs $12.99 and teach you new moves to practice and share with your students. Additionally, Aerial Yoga Online offers Skype classes for $35 for each 60-minute class. Unfortunately, these videos are only aids and cannot certify you as an instructor.
Cost of Aerial Certification
The cost of becoming a Certified Instructor is expensive. AntiGravity Fitness charges $1,200 for AG Fundamentals 1 & 2 and AG Aerial Yoga 1 is $600. Furthermore, the more advanced courses can cost anywhere from $600 to $1,200. Additionally, AntiGravity also charges a $195 annual membership fee after the first free year.
Aerial Yoga Academy charges $599 for the certification track, but does not include the hammock. For those who need to purchase a hammock with the course, it is $850.
Taking it to the Next Level
Some gyms require their instructors to be certified in other training like First Aid, CPR, and AED. Instructors can easily become certified in all three at most American Red Cross locations. Not all gyms necessitate instructors to be certified in those things, but it is especially helpful in case of emergency.
Furthermore, if you are looking to open your own studio you will want to be certified in group exercise. Primary group exercise certifications can be obtained from organizations like the American Council on Exercise (ACE) or Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA). While certification has no impact on aerial studio insurance, having 200 hours of training in your aerial art or another popular fitness certification program can get you insured as an instructor at a discounted rate.
Aerial yoga can provide both instructors and students with a fantastic full body exercise. Whether you find a job at a gym or open your own studio, you will be guaranteed to meet new people all the time. Not only will you love your job, but you will find yourself in great shape! With Aerial yoga being a growing exercise, there will be many new opportunities to come. With any exercise class, listen to your students for tips or new moves they saw. It is important to stay tuned with your students so you can always better your technique and classes. In time, you will be a completely comfortable instructor who helps others stay healthy and fit.