What Is Covered
We work with a variety of yoga studios and styles for yoga studio insurance, including:
- Ashtanga / Power Yoga
- Bikram / Hot Yoga
- Hatha Yoga
- Iyengar Yoga
- Kundalini Yoga
- Vinyasa Yoga
For studios doing aerial activities, see our Aerial Yoga Insurance.
Yoga studio insurance cost starts around $475 – $566, and vary based on several factors including state, number of participants, and additional options you might choose.
This insurance for yoga studios is best for you if you have any of these characteristics:
- Less than 3 yrs’ experience owning a studio
- You want Accident Medical coverage (Accidental Medical Coverage is a supplemental policy that enables you to offer to pay for a student’s medical bills, which will lower the likelihood of that student suing you)
This is the best program if you:
- Want affordable sexual abuse and molestation coverage
- Have a minimum 3 years’ experience managing a studio
- Offer Indoor Tanning (limitations apply)
- Allow unsupervised/individual work outs (but gross sales must be primarily from instructor-led group glasses such as yoga/Pilates/aerobics)
A couple considerations indicate you should add on Sexual Abuse and Molestation coverage:
- If organizations you affiliate with require it
- If there are close relations between students and teachers, and you don’t want to be at risk if someone decides to sue
In order to qualify for this uniquely inexpensive SA & M coverage, you must meet the below criteria.
- Do background checks (these are inexpensive and easy to do, fingerprints are NOT required, and any third party background check vendor is acceptable. There are many options online, just do a Google search)
- Written procedures for dealing with abuse
- Your staff (paid and volunteer) employment application include questions about whether the individual has ever been convicted of any crime, including sex-related or child abuse related offenses
- You routinely conduct background checks on all employees and volunteers working with youth
- You have procedures in place to prevent situations where participants are alone with an individual staff member
- You’ve never had an incident which resulted in an allegation of sexual abuse
If you do not meet these requirements, you can still get sexual abuse and molestation coverage under Program A above, but the cost is several times higher.
Apply for Both
If you don’t have any of the above characteristics, then you will likely get approved from both applications, and both can add coverage for equipment. Depending on your particulars, one will likely be cheaper than the other. If you think it is worth it to spend about 20 minutes to fill out both applications and see which gets you a better rate, that’s what we suggest.
Q: Why would I need equipment/property insurance (i.e., “Inland Marine”) for my yoga studio?
A: The liability portion of the base coverage includes property damage to other parties, e.g., a neighboring tenant. It does not include your own property within the walls of your space… not your mirrors or floor, etc. That’s why owners add on “inland marine” when they can.
Q: I hire independent contractors under 1099s. Can I cover them under my yoga studio insurance?
A: Yes, both yoga studio insurance programs give you the option to cover independent contractors.
Under Program A, you can add coverage for independent contractor instructors after coverage is purchased for $75 per instructor. Each instructor must be individually named and scheduled onto the policy for coverage to apply. Coverage for independent contractor instructors is non-transferable or refundable.
For Program B, you can add them once you’ve purchased the insurance. You would email email@example.com with the number of contractors you’d like covered, and we’ll send you back a quote.
Q: Do you cover aerial yoga activities?
A: YES, but not under the above applications. You can apply here to get a quote. You will need to provide additional information about your aerial yoga activities. Internal underwriting and quoting may be required based on coverage needs and equipment used.