Stand Up Paddle Board
Why do SUP instructors need insurance?
If a student gets injured during a session, there is a good chance he/she will sue you they can’t afford to pay their medical bills. This is common for injuries, in order to stay out of debt. Even if you think your students wouldn’t do that, their friend or family member might pressure them to. In fact, you can be exposed to lawsuit even years after an injury has occurred.
Also, the company or organization you work for may require you to have insurance. One reason is protection from injury lawsuits, but the other reason is in case you damage or lose their property.
- SUP Yoga, Fitness, Pilates
If you need coverage for teaching various kinds of classes both on the water and off (such as mat yoga or Pilates), please contact us at 877-811-2271. This type of coverage has to be purchased over the phone.
Rates depend on several factors, including what state you are in, and if you are certified. Both certified and non-certified instructors are eligible for SUP insurance coverage, but having an accreditation lowers your premium. Certified rates start at $158 per year, and non-certified rates start at $258 per year. You can get the discounted rate if you have one of the following certifications in place at the time you purchase the insurance:
- American Canoe Association (ACA)
- Academy of Surfing Instructors (ASI)
- Paddle Fit
- Paddle Into Fitness
- World Paddle Association (WPA)
- Professional Stand Up Paddle Association (PSUPA)
Other cost factors include:
- If you want coverage in open water, like the ocean
- How many participants you serve annually
- If you are a member of the Stand Up Paddle Industry Association
- The dollar amount of coverage you choose
There are also additional coverage options that you’ll find in the application. If you have a question about any of them, feel free to call us at (877) 811-2271.
What You Need to Apply
- Suitable First Aid Kits, to be available at each session
- Whistles for all students and instructors
- A Personal Flotation Device for each student
- Leg rope (leash) attachments for every board used in Open Water instruction and Closed Water guiding.